Making Connections is delivered free of charge in partnership with Roots of Hope.
Research shows that strong parental/caregiver understanding and support is one of the protective factors when it comes to 2SLGBTQIA+ mental health and is important in reducing the risk of suicide in this higher-risk population. CMHA-NS understands that parents and caregivers need accurate and up-to-date education as well as access to peer support as they help the 2SLGBTQIA+ youth in their lives to grow and thrive.
In the fall of 2022, CMHA NS partnered with Roots of Hope to deliver a six-session webinar series with each session centered on a specific topic with a subject expert presenting or facilitating.
The goal of this series is to:
1) Increase access to educational opportunities for parents and caregivers by sharing the knowledge of professionals and subject experts through the speaker series.
2) Increase opportunities for connections across Nova Scotia by focusing on connecting caregivers in rural areas with one another to allow sharing of experiences and support.
- Where: Zoom
- Time: 6:30 p.m.– 9 :00 p.m. [each session is offered at the same time each month]
- Cost: There is no cost
- How to Register: Registration is through Eventbrite and the Zoom link will be sent to all registered participants the day before the event.
- Who should attend: This series is for parents and caregivers of 2SLGBTQIA+ youth in Nova Scotia. Caregivers who want to gain up-to-date education and information from an array of subject experts, and to meet other parents and caregivers from around the province.
- September 7, 2022 | Building Soft Landings for 2SLGBQTIA+ Youth with Carmel Farahbakhsh (They/Them)
- October 17, 2022 | Healthcare advocacy, navigation, supports and Resources with Gary Dart (He/She/They)
- November 17, 2022 | Gender-Affirming Medical Care and Mental Health with Dr. Ann Marie Joyce and Dr. Celia Robichaud
- December 8, 2022 | Navigating Systems and Advocating for Your Child with Riley Neilson-Baker and GACNS
- January [TBA]
- February [TBA]
Building Soft Landings for 2SLGBQTIA+ Youth with Carmel Farahbakhsh (They/Them)
Building Soft Landings is a discussion-based workshop geared towards parents, caregivers, guardians, and/or mentors of 2SLGBTQIA+ youth navigating the realities of coming out, isolation, gaps in localized resources, and building community.
In this session the facilitator discussed the foundations of gender and sexuality 101 while also sharing stories, best practices, and affirming tools that can create spaces of care, celebration, and sustainable support networks for the 2SLGBQTIA+ youth in our lives as well as for the folks that love them.
RESOURCES RECOMMENDED BY THE FACILITATOR
For children/and families:
- The Youth Project [Website]
- Gender 101 Video [ Video]
- Practicing Pronouns [Video/Recording]
- A Guide to Being an Ally to Transgender and Nonbinary Youth [PDF]
- Coming out as Non-Binary [info sheet]
- Scarleteen [Website]
Best Suited for Youth 14+ or Adults:
- Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness – Episode: Can We Say Bye-bye to The Binary?
- Montana Two Spirit Gathering: Making Our Circle Whole Again
- Raquel Willis | TIME’s “Voices of The Future”
- We Move Together: Disability Justice and Trans Liberation
- Black Leaders, Visionaries, and Advocates from our Pasts & Presents – The Youth Project
- Moving Beyond the Binary: A Guide on How to Make Your Organization Meaningfully Inclusive of Two-Spirit, Trans, Non-Binary, and Gender Diverse People – Legal Info Nova Scotia
- Super Queeros – CBC Arts
Healthcare advocacy, navigation, supports and Resources with Gary Dart (He/She/They)
This session included information on prideHealth, healthcare advocacy, navigating the health system, supports and resources as well as personal experiences. It was geared towards parents, caregivers, guardians, and/or mentors of 2SLGBTQIA+ youth navigating the realities of coming out, isolation, gaps in localized resources, and building community.
View the presentation [content to come]
Gender-Affirming Medical Care and Mental Health with Dr. Ann Marie Joyce and Dr. Celia Robichaud
This session provides an overview of the five aspects of gender affirming care, with a focus on medical and surgical interventions.The facilitators also discuss the impact on mental health, need for mental health services, and how to access our team.
View the presentation [content to come]