August 14, 2018
Celebrating 100 years of the Canadian Mental Health Association
DARTMOUTH, Nova Scotia (August 14, 2018) – The Canadian Mental Health Association is celebrating its 100th anniversary as the nation-wide leader and champion for community based mental health and addictions.
The CMHA’s in Nova Scotia (NS) are the oldest community-based mental health and addictions charitable organizations in the province, founded in 1908. The CMHA’s in NS provide provincial leadership for mental health, with the support of 5 CMHA Branches. The organization since its inception has provided advocacy and resources to help prevent mental health problems and illnesses, support recovery and resilience, and enable all Nova Scotian’s to flourish and thrive.
In honour of the organizations 100th anniversary Halifax Harbour Bridges (HHB) has donated CMHA banners on the Dartmouth side of the Macdonald Bridge for two weeks in August. “We are especially proud to celebrate the 100th anniversary of CMHA this year,” said Pamela Magee Executive Director of CMHA NS. “We would like to thank Halifax Harbour Bridges for their recognition of our 100th anniversary, and their on-going support and collaboration of mental health initiatives and suicide prevention in Nova Scotia.”
The theme of the 100th anniversary is “100 years of community”, to celebrate this, the CMHA NS would like to engage Nova Scotians by posing the question – what does mental health mean to you?
To answer this question, CMHA NS invites you to:
- Share your thoughts on social media using the hashtag #GetLoud to @NScmha on Twitter, and to @NSdivisionCMHA on Facebook.
- Get creative! Send us a letter, video, or photos. Stories shared could be a mental health journey, or your feelings, views and opinions on mental health.
- Donate to support NS CMHA mental health programs, advocacy and resources.
Submissions can be mailed to The Canadian Mental Health Association – Nova Scotia Division, 45 Alderney Drive, suite 200, Dartmouth, NS B2Y 2N6, or emailed to email@example.com. All submissions will be kept anonymous, unless otherwise indicated.
- The CMHA is governed by a National vision: “Mentally healthy people in a healthy society” and provides community-based mental health and addiction supports and services within three key strategic areas: Strengthening Our Collective Voice, Ensuring Quality Services and Enhancing Organizational Health.
- CMHA NS Division’s mission is to support the Mental Health of all Nova Scotians. This mission is achieved through the provision of community-based supports and services that promotes positive mental health- quality of life- and prevents mental ill health related injury and disease through:
- Strengthening our Collective Voice by developing collaborative and supportive relationships among multiple sectors and partners, in support of mental health for all;
- Ensuring Quality Services through the provision of quality and timely, evidence based mental health promotion- injury disease (mental health and addictions) awareness, education, trainings, programs and initiatives that mental health and quality of life for all Nova Scotians; and,
- Enhancing Organizations Health by providing provincial and local community leadership to pilot and deliver innovative evidence-based mental health promotion, injury-disease recovery-based prevention supports and services for all Nova Scotians.
For further information:
Marketing, Communications and Sponsorship Lead
Canadian Mental Health Association – NS Division
(902) 466-6600 ext. 210