On May 3rd 2017, CMHA NS is spreading kindness around the wonderful province of Nova Scotia in support of Mental Health Awareness Week.
CMHA NS’s Kindness Day is designed to promote Acts of Kindness and to Pay It Forward around our community. It is also a day where the importance of kindness and its effects on one’s own wellness is emphasized.
CMHA NS will be out and about in Nova Scotia carrying out kind gestures. Staff and volunteers want to put a smile on the face of everyone we meet that day. By performing our own acts of kindness, we hope to inspire others to be kind.
Giving is good for you
When we give to others it activates the areas of the brain associated with pleasure, social connection and trust. Altruistic behaviour releases endorphins in the brain and boosts happiness for us as well as the people we help.
On Wednesday May 3rd 2017, post about a random act of kindness that you’ve done and tag us on Social Media. Include the hashtags #getloud and #nsCMHA to be entered to win a draw for one of our wellness baskets!
Ideas of what people in the community could do:
- Send a nice text/email/message to 5 different people
- Pay for someone’s coffee behind you
- Compliment someone
- Take the time to teach someone a skill you know
- Post inspirational/encouraging notes around your office or neighbourhood
- Donate clothes/towels/bus tickets/money to a shelter
- Introduce yourself. Make new colleagues, classmates, etc. feel welcome
- Babysit for free
- Tell someone’s manager that they gave great customer service
- Write a positive review for an organization online
- Give words of encouragement to someone about their dreams, no matter how big or small they are
- Reconnect and reach out
- Help someone who wants to get healthy, but needs a helping hand
Click here to return to the Mental Health Awareness Week page