Get Ready for the 66th CMHA Mental Health Awareness Week.
Please join us and tell everyone to #GETLOUD from May 1st to May 7th,.
The 66th CMHA Mental Health Awareness Week will be louder than ever before. Get ready to lift up your mental health megaphone!
Let’s stop waiting and take control of our lives NOW!
The people we love – and the people we elect – need to hear that mental health is an essential part of health, and of health care. And we just can’t wait anymore.
About Mental Health Awareness Week
CMHA Mental Health Awareness Week was first introduced in 1951 to raise mental health awareness. It is now a Canadian tradition, offering practical ways to maintain and improve mental health and support recovery.
As Canada’s champion for mental health, CMHA delivers programs and services to over half a million Canadians every year.
There are many ways to add your voice.
- Hold your own fundraising event
- Host a free event supporting positive mental health and well-being
- Donate space, resources, skills, or items towards our Wellness basket
- Monetary donation. To donate to CMHA NS Click Here.
Share your Mental Health Awareness Week event here.
To view the Mental Health Awareness Week events around NS click here.
CMHA NS Mental Health Awareness Week Events:
Join us as we proclaim May 1st-7th as CMHA’s Mental Health Awareness Week.
- CMHA NS staff will be out in the community all week having enlightening discussions about mental health and promoting positive mental health practices across the province. Keep an eye out for us!
- From organizations such as Phoenix Youth Shelter, Laing House, Rockingstone Heights Early Years Centre, SchoolsPlus programs, and the YMCA, CMHA NS staff are looking forward to raising awareness and engaging our community in conversations about mental health
- Let us know how YOU are participating and if we can be of support to you! Contact Alexandra Walling, Engagement and Awareness Coordinator
- Participate in our Pay it forward / Kindness Day Wednesday May 3rd 2017. CMHA NS will be out and about in Nova Scotia carrying out kind gestures. Staff and volunteers want to put a smile on the face of everyone we meet that day. By performing our own acts of kindness, we hope to inspire others to be kind
- On Wednesday May 3rd 2017, share a random act of kindness that you’ve done and tag us on Social Media. Include the hashtags #getloud and #nsCMHA to be entered in a draw for one of our Wellness baskets! For more information click here
- If you are in Dartmouth NS Wednesday May 3rd 2017, stop by Metro Deli, Cafe and Grill to pick up a Kindness Cookie. Designed by CMHA NS and provided by Metro Deli, Cafe and Grill,100% of profits will be donated to CMHA NS. For more information click here
- CMHA NS staff will be paying it forward and hosting an introductory session of the Healthy Relationships Plus Program to community stakeholders in Cape Breton and Bridgewater Wednesday May 3rd 2017. Let us know if you are interested in attending!
- For more information on the Healthy Relationships Plus Program, click here
- Thursday May 4th 2017, CMHA NS is challenging you to PLAY unplugged! We are encouraging everyone to step out of their regular routines and do something recreational – free of technology!
- Did you know that mental wellness achieved from recreation activities include increased self-esteem, sense of accomplishment, increased self-confidence, reduced stress and increased ability to cope, improved quality of life, and life satisfaction? Check out Recreation Nova Scotia here for some great ideas!
- To view our general facts and statistics page click here
- Join the CMHA NS staff for a Seniors Wellness Walk May 4th 2017 from 10:30am – 11:30am at the Shubenacadie Canal to enjoy the outdoors and meet the staff of CMHA Nova Scotia division.
- Meeting address: Shubie Park Campground 30 John Brenton Dr, Dartmouth, NS, Canada
- Take some time out of your week to do something for your own mental health. Whether it be going for a nice walk, taking an hour to meditate, or trying a new activity, don’t wait to recreate! A few of the CMHA NS staff will be spending their Friday afternoon volunteering at animal shelters around the province to help an animal in need. If your interested in joining us, contact Alexandra Walling, Engagement and Awareness Coordinator.
- For more information on Recreation Nova Scotia, click here
- Visit your local libraries for resources on Mental Health.
- Support your local schools, universities, and community groups as they prepare their own initiatives to create awareness of mental health in their communities.
- Swing by Jumping Bean in Bedford, NS to enjoy a delicious brew with a friend. A point of sale donation to CMHA NS would be greatly appreciated!
- Check out Piatto Pizza’s Pizza Of the Week May 3rd – 9th. They will be donating a percentage of sales of the Pizza Of the Week (POW) for CMHA Mental Health Awareness Week.
The longer we wait for health care, the worse our health becomes; this holds true for mental health problems and illnesses as much as for physical illness. So let’s take control of our lives NOW!
For general facts and statistics, click here
Thank you to our many wonderful contributors:
Piatto Pizzeria + Enoteca – For more information click here
Jumping Bean – For more information click here
Rio Pilates & Yoga Studio – For more information click here
Nerds On Site – For more information click here
GoodLife Fitness – For more information click here
Metro Deli, Cafe and Grill – For more information click here
Pete’s Fine Foods – For more information click here
Bandha Bar – For more information click here
Liquid Gold Olive Oils and Vinegars – For more information click here
The Cultured Coconut – For more information click here
South End Florist – For more information click here
NSCC Strait Area Campus – For more information click here
Lunenburg County YMCA Youth Centre – For more information click here
View our current events here.
For more information, contact Alexandra Walling, Engagement and Awareness Coordinator