The Canadian Mental Health Association Nova Scotia [CMHA NS] Division is part of a nation-wide charitable organization that promotes the mental health of all and supports the resilience and recovery of people experiencing mental illness.
Currently, there are six branches, one division office, and one satellite office in the province. Click here to find a CMHA Branch near you!
VISION OF CMHA (NATIONAL)
Mentally healthy people in a healthy society.
MISSION OF CMHA-NS
To provide provincial leadership, for and on behalf of Nova Scotians, in:
- mental health education (promotion, awareness and training);
- mental health-related injury/disease prevention (suicide prevention); and
- innovative and strategic mental health pilot projects
To support mental health recovery through:
- Supporting resilience
- Population-based advocacy; and
- Provision of mental health promotion, injury disease prevention leadership throughout Nova Scotia
GUIDING PRINCIPLES OF CMHA-NS
- CMHA-NS strives to build capacity at a community level to improve the mental health of Nova Scotians
- CMHA-NS recognizes the cultural diversity of Nova Scotians
- CMHA-NS values and respects the voice of Nova Scotians, the work and expertise of our branches, coalitions, community partners and employees
- CMHA-NS employs the use of research and evaluation to inform its practice. We evaluate what we do and use results to shift, direct and change what we are doing to better meet the needs of Nova Scotians
- CMHA-NS supports Resilience and Trauma Informed Care approaches and safe messaging practices
- CMHA-NS acts as a resource and advisor to government mental health concerns of Nova Scotians; as well as provides policy and program development advise